Earlier this year, while it was still winter, I went to a close friend’s baby shower. It was her and her husband’s first baby, and my first time attending a baby shower.
The weekend included:
- A hawk killing one of their chickens… while my pregnant friend was trying to chase it away… and the eight of us at her party sat around the table inside, chatting without a care in the world. Some friends we are, I know.
- Detailed discussion about how to pump and store breastmilk and assemble reusable diapers
- A list of due date guesses- one woman declared that the winner would get to name the second child
- Love- it’s lovely to see someone surrounded by people who love them
- Lots of food
- Dog cuddles
- Post-shower, a cold but refreshing walk with just my friend and her other friend who like me, wasn’t local and was staying overnight
It did not include:
- A game where we smelled different kinds of chocolate in diapers and guessed what kind they were
- A game where we tasted baby food, including meat-flavored ones, and guessed what flavors they were
- Tossing a baby bouquet to predict who would be next to have a baby
The first two are real games that my friend witnessed at other baby showers and that initially made her not want to have one. It was her husband who ultimately convinced her to take her sister and friends up on their offers to throw one (though she ended up doing the hosting and organizing, really). The third does not exist, as far as I know, but please give me credit if you incorporate it in the next baby shower you attend.